For starters, I planned, printed maps and scoped out locations ahead of time to make our trip as smooth as possible once we arrived. Pick a couple of places that you want to check out and look into what specials they offer, hours they operate, etc. For our trip, we decided to travel to MN for the state fair, and once that was decided, I built the trip around it. We checked out the Mall of America and rented a cabin on one of the lakes to relax. That’s it, some touristy but still relaxing!
When flying, make sure you arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare and check their guidelines. For instance, we arrived at the check-in counter and learned that our airline allowed 40lbs per suitcase instead of the standard 50lbs, so we had to pay extra, but you live and learn. Most airlines let children under 2 travel for free, so now is the best time to go on vacation with your little one.
Things to remember when flying-
- Print your boarding passes ahead of time.
- If your child is under two, bring their birth certificate.
- Put all of the bottles, foods etc in one Ziploc on one side of the diaper bag for easy screening at the airport.
- Bring the soft books for your child to read on the plane.
- Save room in your suitcase and roll your clothes. It will save you from bringing extra luggage and your spouse will thank you! I am proud to brag that I packed one suitcase, one carry on and one diaper bag for 3 people for a 5 day trip!
- Organize your diaper bag ahead of time so you know where the pacifiers are.
- Print directions for your locations in case you forget the GPS.
If you have any tips to share, I would love to hear! Until next time, Tara
If you would like to check out any of the sites in MN-
- The Mall of America: www.mallofamerica.com
- The MN State Fair: http://www.mnstatefair.org/
- Cabin Rentals: http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/minnesota?from-date=2014-12-04&to-date=2014-12-07